- Born: Cir 1819, Sawley, Derbys 225,226,227,228,229
- Marriage: Sarah Jenkins Q3 1848 in Basford Registration District, Notts/Derbys 215
Noted events in his life were:
• Occupation: silk lace maker, at the time of the census in June 1841. 291 He was then living with his widowed mother, sister, etc on the north side of Back Street, Sawley, Derbyshire
• Occupation: British School teacher, at the time of the census in March 1851. 292,293 He was then living at Plant Lane, Sawley, Derbyshire with his wife, also a teacher. This was at the Baptist day school held in a room which adjoined the chapel, built in 1800 and enlarged in 1843. The school was founded in 1844 by William Parkinson who left £400 for this purpose with the condition that it should be open to all. John had bee appointed as its first pastor and school master at a salary of £40 per annum.Over the years it expanded from small beginnings to having average attendances of 125 pupils with four teachers. This was the school which was briefly attended by John Clifford before the family's removal to Beeston. When, much later, an infants' room was added, Dr Clifford returned to open it.
• Occupation: school master, at the time of the cenus in Apil 1861. 294 He was then living with his wife and three children on the south side of Back Street, Sawley, Derbyshire.
• Occupation: Baptist Minister and school master, at the time of the census in April 1871. 295 He was then still living at south side of Back Lane, Sawley, Derbyshire with his wife and two adult children.
• Occupation: school master and local Baptist preacher, at the time of the census in April 1881. 296 He was then living at Back Street, Sawley, Derbyshire with his wife, daughter and an infant school teacher as boarder.
• Residence: 11 Maud Street, Basford, Nottingham, at the time of the census in April 1891. 297 He was, by then, a retitred schoolmaster living with his wife, a daighter and a grand-daughter.
John married Sarah Jenkins, daughter of William Jenkins and Elizabeth Marshall, Q3 1848 in Basford Registration District, Notts/Derbys.215 (Sarah Jenkins was born circa 1821 in Beeston, Notts 216,217,218,219,220,221.)