- Born: Cir 1840, Nottingham 47,50,51,52,53
- Marriage: Catherine Dix on 20 Dec 1860 in St Peters, Nottingham 1
Noted events in his life were:
• Occupation: police officer, at the time of the census in April 1861. 54 He was the living in Stapleford, Notts (probably on Nottingham Road) with his wife.
• Occupation: Inspector or Police, at the time of the census in April 1871. 55 He was the living with his wife and their two sons at Church Row, Eckington, Derbys
• Occupation: Superintendent of Police, St the time of the census in April 1881 and April 1891. 56,57 He was then living at Markaet Street, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire with his wife and a visitor, Jane Exon. This location was probably the local police station as, in 1881, there was a prisoner present on census night. It is not clear what, if any, was the relationship of the Hallams to Jane Exon; as she was, in early censuses, to be found as a domestic servant to other families, it is possible that she did serve the family at some earlier time. She continued to live with the family and followed them into retirement.
• Residence: 6 Cambridge Road, Blackpool, Lancashire, by the time of the census in March 1901. 58 By this time, he was living with his wife in retirement. Jane Exon continued to live with them as a "visitor".
John married Catherine Dix, daughter of William Dix and Isabella Day, on 20 Dec 1860 in St Peters, Nottingham.1 (Catherine Dix was born on 21 Jan 1835 in Beeston, Notts 42,43,44,45,46,47,48 and was baptised on 15 Feb 1835 in Beeston Parish Church, Notts 49.)