Charles George Carlisle
- Born: 1820, Sheffield 134
- Marriage: Elizabeth Lawton 22 Oct 1843, Sheffield (St Peter's Cathedral)
- Died: Feb 1889 at age 69
- Buried: 18 Feb 1889, Fulwood Church
At the date of his marriage in 1843, lived at Bath St.
An 1845 Directory shows him as an Ivory cutter living at 35 RockinghamSt.
In 1859 he and John were living at 39 Gloucester St. He and William Henry set up Carlisle Brothers as Ivory Cutters and Dealers, which operated from 31 Little Pond St; a lane between Pond St and Pond Hill, before Flat St and Pond St were joined.
Referred to as Master Ivory Cutter on son's birth certificate.
He used to travel to Brussels every year to buy ivory imported from the Belgian Congo.
Became partner with Wm Lockwood, 45 Fawcett St, Park, Sheffield, to form Lockwood & Carlisle, Engineers, 1876. Became Ltd Co in 1898, after the original partnership with William Lockwood was dissolved in 1887.
Lived at the family headquarters at 5 Palmerston Rd, and was friendly with George Neill, of Ashgrove, now 24 Clarkehouse Rd and used as offices.
In 1881 Census, shown as employing 6 men & 8 girls.
George Neill , at the age of 40, bought a large house in Rotherham, 'Eastwood' and started a new career in Local Government and as a Director of Tinsley Rolling Mills Ltd.
He was Scottish and built the terraced streets near Hunters Bar, one of the roads being Neill Rd.
He became Mayor of Rotherham on three occasions, 1881, 1884 and 1890.
He died on 13 Apr 1899, aged 68.
Noted events in his life were:
• Occupation: ivory cutter, by the time of the census in April 1861. 374 He was then living with his wife, eight children and a servant at 42 Gloucester Street, Ecclesall Bierlow
Charles married Elizabeth Lawton on 22 Oct 1843 in Sheffield (St Peter's Cathedral). (Elizabeth Lawton was born circa 1823 in Sheffield 295.)