Noted events in his life were:
• Occupation: confectioner, at the time of the census in June 1841. 376 He was then living on Goose Gate, Nottingham
• Occupation: baker, at the time of the census in March 1851. 379 He was then living at 26 Carter Gate, Nottingham with his wife and small daughter and was employing one boy.
• Residence: Lister Gate, Nottingham, by 24 June 1856. 380,381 This property, which included a house, shop and workshop was purchased by him from H Godkin for £1,002. In June 1864, it was compulsorily purchased by The Mayor & Burgesses of the Borough of Nottingham acting as the Local Board of Health, apparently for road widening purposes. The sale included compensation of £375 for loss of trade and the business of baker and confectioner and £70 for furniture and fixtures.
• Occupation: confectioner, at the time of the census in April 1861. 382 He was then living in a boarding house at 148 Dale Street, Liverpool while his wife and family were living at Lister Gate, Nottingham.
• Occupation: house decorator, After Jun 1856, Sheffield. 383,384 Following the compulsory sale of his Nottingham confectionary business, he had moved to Sheffield to join his brother William in his decorating business.
• Occupation: house decorator, by the time of the census in April 1871. 385 He was then living with his wife, children and an assistant at Charnge Alley, Sheffield,
• Residence: 17 & 19 Change Alley, Sheffield, at the time of the census in Aprl 1881. 386
Joseph married Eliza. (Eliza was born circa 1820 in Loughborough, Leicestershire 387,388,389.)