Albert William Dobson
- Born: 14 Sep 1896, Nottingham 46,154,156,158
- Marriage: Madeleine Marie McGovern on 2 Feb 1932 in San Francisco, California, USA
- Died: 24 May 1957, San Francisco, California, USA at age 60 159
During the time the family lived in Beeston, Notts, he was an active member of the Boys Brigade there and won awards in 1910. He also won awards from the Church Sunday School in that year.
Noted events in his life were:
• Education: Church Street Boys School, Beeston, Notts, from 27 Jun 1904 until the family left for America in October 1910. 160 He had previously attended Berridge Road School, Nottingham
• Emigration: to America, 29 Oct 1910. 64 He left from Liverpool with his parents, arriving at New York on 6 November
• Occupation: lithographer, in June 1918. 161 At that time he was working for a Mr Benson at Utal Lithography and living with his mother at 807 Washington Street, Salt Lake City, Utah. Earlier, he had started there as an apprentice but left in 1919 for a better job in San Francisco, across the ferry from Oakland where he lived.
• Occupation: lithographer for a newspaper, at the time of the US Federal Census in Jan 1920. 157,162 He was then living with his parents and sister at Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, California and took the ferry each day to his work in San Francisco. He had moved to Oakland from Salt Lake City in January 1919 when he took this better job and was soon followed by the rest of the family.
• Hobbies: fretwork. 22
Albert married Madeleine Marie McGovern, daughter of Francis Patrick McGovern and Kathryn Elizabeth Feeney, on 2 Feb 1932 in San Francisco, California, USA. (Madeleine Marie McGovern was born on 9 Jun 1904 in Kelseyville, California, USA 163,164,165,166 and died on 19 Nov 1996 in Burlingame, California, USA 22.)
Madelaine, from an Irish family, was a Roman Catholic and the marriage took place at Old St Mary's Catholic Church in San Francisco. Brought up as an Episcopalian (Church of England), Albert converted to Catholicism before the marriage.